Tuesday, July 21, 2009

How to adapt technology based lessons for less-than advanced science classrooms.

I have had the challenge of working in an urban environment where technological industry is trying to provide services to the schools, but the faculty lacks commitment. I have also had the struggle of working in a rural environment with no industry and no faculty support for technology. I have found that although the world wide web is out there, some areas of this country STILL do not have access. How do you apply the NSTA standards in these challenging situations?

This reflection is based on my experiences and is in no way a complete response. I am reflecting due to a peer response on a previous blog post as follows:


Quinn Daily said...
Kelly, Thanks for your great insight! I find myself in similar situations regarding lack of resources (specifically computers) for all of my students. You also mentioned having to adapt your ability to use technology in your classroom. What are some of the ways you have been able to do this? -Quinn
July 13, 2009 5:37 PM

I apologize Quinn for taking so long to respond; I have not forgotten rather I lacked the words to positively express my methods! Please consider this just a modest beginning to my discussion with you!


As we find the latest advancements of technology, teachers are immediately inclined to devise a way to fit it into class lesson plans. Teachers actively seek out new methods; schools and districts do not work at the same pace with the same thoughts in mind. However, the bottom line becomes the implementation in the classroom. I have relied on my PLN for feedback and ideas on unique ways to implement technology based lesson plans. There is no SMARTboard, nor a classroom computer. I have bought my own computers, software, and other traditional science materials to use in the classroom. But ultimately I do not have the resources to bring to the classroom what is needed for technology based lessons.

In the past, I have basically printed out online programs and done everything by hand while making students aware of the fact all of their answers could be completed online. I have used one computer at a time with classes; keeping two separate class goals moving forward simultaneously. One goal is an inquiry program using the computer where students take turns out of class every day of the week except test days. Meanwhile I hold hands-on activities that align with textbook and state requirements for the rest of the students. However, this can become a challenge because students will occasionally miss out on important explorations. I chalk this up to losses that will result from diversity. Under this philosophy though, student truancy was much lower because they knew they were missing out on multiple things that they would not necessarily have the opportunity to make up. I support this by creating assessments that mirror both the hands-on activities and the inquiry questions so that there are rewards from both ends of the spectrum.

Things like PowerPoints and data sets can be done by hand. I play up the fact that I found the information on the internet and cite my sources multiple times to convey the importance the internet played in my preparation of the lesson. I have a jumpdrive that I take back and forth to school; many schools do not allow this. I found that my school's IT was non-existent and I could convince them of anything. (Except of course I needed more computers, etc.) I explained that the jumpdrive was the only way for me to properly prepare for class.

This leads into my use of technology. Yes, I gave up personal time at home to get bits of technology into my classroom. I would be stuck searching for hours to find something I could use. Not just use, but something that looked clear printed out since there is no screen to show what I found. This is where my digital PLN came in. Yes there is one or two sites that a teacher can stick to for simulations or a broad range of content, but I needed a different site every time due to my display restrictions. I could not find these random sites alone. Once your PLN becomes familiar with your class conditions, they can appreciate your requests and needs in a more purposeful way. This takes time though, so patience is necessary.

This led to my focus on people instead of things. By using people-based introduction to technology I did not need to worry about platforms, bandwidth, or tools. I started inviting local professionals into the classroom for guest lectures, help with labs, or anything else one can think of. The professional could talk about using technology, and provide some concrete examples of their use of science intermixed with technology on a daily basis. At first professionals were confused and upset when I informed them I did not have a way for them to show PowerPoint presentations. One individual even contacted the Principal to request some tools, thinking I was being lazy. He received the school's sole mobile unit, but found there was not enough memory nor wireless access to do what he wanted. He realized I was trying to "help" him by not even messing with the tools available for rental. After a few months, these professionals started to struggle again with the fact that they could not instantaneously show something with the help of technology. I helped them realize that the only way some cutting edge technology was going to make it to the classroom was if they brought it themselves; finally they did! I had a veterinarian bringing in ultrasound equipment, a construction manager bring in survey equipment, and even a county engineer brought in pumps from a waste water treatment plant. Instead of simulating or showing things and just "using" technology (PowerPoints and cool simulations), we climbed Bloom's Taxonomy and did applications of technology by showing actual tools improved by technology and their actual productivity (e.g. comparing survey equipment from 20 years ago using geometry to today's triangulation methods with satelittes).

These experiences for my students did not fulfill NSTA requirements of using technology (meaning computers) effectively to analyze data. However, my students do have a better understanding of the importance science plays in daily life. We did not create 3-D graphs nor tote around digital cameras, but we were told how a simple digital camera is now integral to a construction manager's job. We did not do quick research online about different animal science opprotunities, instead we asked questions about science to someone who works with animals every day. The professionals expressed the importance of technology; exclaiming how in their lifetimes practices have changed! This puts the focus on the future (and future opprotunities with technology) instead of the negative ancient environment.

Moving around has taught me to embrace the community and get involved. There are people out there who would love to be a part of education but don't know how. Our educational system is set up to be very uninviting; teachers desire to be considered professionals yet we do not reach out to other professions. By allowing these doctors, engineers, practitioners, and laborers an opprotunity to "teach" they come to appreciate the challenge of being an educator. These working relationships bring excitement to the classroom, memorable experiences for all involved, new prespective on what science and technology mean to society, and most importantly positive learning for all.

1 comment:

  1. I am impressed with everything you do for your classes. I hope your school administrators, parents, colleagues, and students acknowledge your good work.

    ReplyDelete