Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Week 5 Reflections

Another week quickly passes by,

Since I missed the live PD I had intended on watching before the Fourth of July I am searching for something unique and different with my free time this week. My PLN has been helpful in trying to guide my search. They have also provided me with some new sites and ideas I should share!

Ms. Winebrenner suggested "Free webinar 4 educators 7/23/09-Cellphone as instructional tools. Register: http://bit.ly/vGe0G (@lkolb 1 of 3 presenters)"

This pointed me to Ms. Kolb, who wrote:
"RT @joevans RT @dianadell 500 videos for teaching science http://ow.ly/hchf All grade levels."

This led me to an interesting site called SqoolTubeVideo:

If only I could blog as fast as I achieve information! But, this goes back to my blog posting about multi-tagging: Do only as much as you are interested in at the moment; all these online opprotunities will be here when you get back!

Also I stumbled across this site while searching for different webcasts. Challenger Center will be starting monthly casting in August, and it appears to have a variety of other opportunities for the classroom as well.

On a different note: I took some time yesterday to update myself with the latest google adventures. Google has really expanded their realm of capabilities and it has behooved me to keep up with their products. Do you know that many universities are switching to using google based systems on their network to include use of gmail, googledocs, picasa, and a range of other webware? This implies that networks are considering web-based programs as integral to their future. As a teacher, am I making sure that my students are prepared for higher learning? Are my students able to use shareware, webware, and troubleshoot other systems effectively? When they get to university level study they will be expected to know and understand these systems without technical support. One Google lab that I am interested in keeping track of is the Google Moderator. Although this is just "lab" program I am interested by this type of programming because educational support could shape the use of this feature in the future.


Overall, this week provided an effective use of past experiences and new opprotunities as a result of my PLN. My diverse network continues to shape my perspective on the digital world for the better.


2 comments:

  1. Your Google post reminded me that many students, and teachers, don't know about Google Scholar http://scholar.google.com/ as a source for peer reviewed papers if students are doing a literature hunt. Works just like Google but with a more focused search of publications.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Google scholar is a great resource, as well as another interesting research site put out by the National Library of Medicine - PubMed http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/sites/entrez. I am learning about the many opportunities to dig through their site to learn about new research and how you can give students opportunities to research specific protein's, nucleotides, and genomes for everything that has been genome sequenced so far.

    I would definately like to more opportunities for younger students to participate in real experiments and see the entire research process is carried out. I know there are some opportunities for students to apply to work in university labs over the summer, but I can't remember learning anything about true research when I was in high school.

    ReplyDelete