Wednesday, August 5, 2009

Final Thoughts on Reasons for Using Technology

Working for eight weeks to immerse myself in 2.0 Webtools has been an enlightening experience. Although many of the "tools" have been a part of my life (yes, I even had a personal Twitter account), I had not figured out how to make these Educational Webtools. These eight weeks have put me in touch with educators across the world who are challenged by the same ideas. I made more progress this summer on my 'technology in the classroom philosophy' with the help of this network than all of my professional development since I have become a teacher.

The most important part of this experience is the people! The digital PLN has been instrumental with packing these weeks with relevant information. My classmates jumped on board providing support and parallels. Dr. Brunsell provided framework that allowed for direct implementation of technology, and self-discovery of other technologies.

At the beginning of the eight weeks I considered myself to have a good idea of what this class would require, and wrote my "Reasons for Using Technology" as a snapshot of my technological interactions. As I reflected on my reasons for using specific technology, I found my original statements to be the cornerstone of
my pedagogy concerning technology use in the classroom. I would like to summarize my initial statements with these final words:

I believe the best way to compel student learning is by using, on a daily basis, the means that students relate to the world.
I use technology to help students gain life skills. The hallmark of science is hands-on methods and the proper execution of trail and error at the basic level. These two pillars of science are also the basic skills executed by digital natives every day. I can teach my students how to take their technological capabilities to the next level by tying in the subject content. I use technology because it is the means of society, and ultimately education is meant to provide scaffolding to identify and solve problems in every spectrum of life.


1 comment:

  1. Nicely put Kelly. You're a great writer. Best of luck with everything this year. I will continue to follow your updates on twitter...

    ReplyDelete