Thursday, July 30, 2009

Week 7: WebTools 2.0 Final Project Notes

As a result of my experiences and interactions in this class I will be working to create these three things as I begin the school year:

Interactive Notebook for Science Class – completely online backup for absentees and alternative education

Critical Thinking Questions for Twitter/Website - these are a part of homework for the evening; easier ones if there is other homework or a more complex problem to solve on no homework nights(is homework a good idea since some schools it is pointless) Prep for testing, quizzes, etc. Still haven't decided on this one; dependent on what classes I will teach this fall.

Enrichment (Extra Credit) Activities for Syllabus - (Inquiry Projects) which are up-to-date using the latest materials and resources thanks to my PLN. (see my powerpoint about my Green 'E' ...) Align this with national science standards, state standards, etc. so that this document can be self-contained and be useful to other teachers as well.

Using any of these three topics I will be using these Web 2.0 Tools within the realm of the chosen creation: twitter-social network device, creative commons-copyright friendly searching and the need to discuss plagiarism, and real world data sites that provide appropriate data for science classrooms.

As of now, I do not have my classes for the fall. For this reason I want to create something that I know I will use no matter the grade level. Also I want to create something that I can share with my PLN regardless of their grade/content level. For this reason I will be elaborating on my third idea: Enrichment Activities for Syllabus.

This part of the syllabus will include links, directives, guidelines, and information that allows students to use it as a "bookmark" of inquiry they can complete on their own time. I will also provide a few examples of how a student could execute the enrichment on the list to turn in for credit. Each of the enrichment activities will be created using different tools, and guidelines. They are all problem solving and/or critical thinking situations so that each student will produce different final products.

... thoughts and suggestions appreciated...

I am still in the rough stages, and have not made any committments. If you think you could possibly use a list like this, please share your insight so that I can make it relevant to you!

4 comments:

  1. I love the idea of using an interactive notebook for absentees and alternative education. My job would be so much easier if each teacher had some type of system like the one you are proposing as I have a hard time getting my students to do work when they are in school, much less when they have missed it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We have a huge problem with absentees and since we have 90 minutes more than one day lost is a big problem to make up. I too am interested in your interactive notebook. Do you know where you would post this? The enrichment activities sound like a great way to get students involved in technology for extra credit. Some will take to it enthusiastically but these are usually the students that already have a high grade. If you could choose just one tool of technology to use with all students which would it be?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I currently use TeacherWeb since that is the preferred venue at my school. However I think it would be more advantageous to use a wiki platform...so that students can post to it if they are absent for a number of days. However a traditional webpage would work as well, I think.

    One Tech Tool is a hard choice; ultimately if I could get each student equal access to the internet to just browse on a daily basis I think that would have a huge impact.

    Of my three ideas I would choose Twitter because this is a venue that the students frequent from a social standpoint. If you use something that students already enjoy or appreciate in a new educational way, you are more likely to reach the fringes of the population. I think education should meld with life. For students Twitter is a venue where their lives unfold regardless of our interactions on the venue. We might as well try to get a "tweet" in edgewise!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Teacherweb is the standard at my school as well, however I no longer can see myself limited by its options. I will keep that site as a companion to my new site for now and re-visit the issue when my subscription runs out.

    ReplyDelete